Brian Power, PT, DPT, DMT, Grad Dip Manip (Hons), FAAOMPT
Brian is a co-owner and Vice President of MTI Physical Therapy. He graduated from the University of Puget Sound School of Physical Therapy in 1988. After finishing a 4-year post-graduate residency program and being examined by the Nordic Group of Specialists in Manual Therapy of Norway, he has considerable post-graduate education and experience in the specialty of Orthopaedic Manual Therapy. He practices this specialty to rehabilitate a variety of extremity and spinal injuries and those experiencing chronic pain. His clinical experience has also included headache/migraine management, TMJ dysfunction and fibromyalgia. Brian has treated school aged, college, professional and recreational level athletes in a wide variety of sports. He has worked with members of Cirque du Soleil and currently with the Cabiri, a performance troupe. As a recreational runner and former road racer, Brian enjoys working with runners to rehabilitate their injuries and providing guidance to keep them running or return to running during and after an injury, as well as proper shoe wear/fitting.
In addition to his clinical practice, he has been teaching Post-Graduate Residency and Fellowship Programs in Orthopaedic Manual Therapy in the United States and Continuing Education courses throughout Scandinavia, Asia and Europe since 1991.
- Doctorate of Physical Therapy: The Ola Grimsby Institute (2005)
- Master of Orthopedic Manual Therapy: The Ola Grimsby Institute (1991)
- Bachelor of Science in Physical Therapy: University of Puget Sound (1988)
- Bachelor of Science in Community Health: Western Washington University (1984)
- PT – Physical Therapist
- DPT – Doctor of Physical Therapy
- DMT – Doctor of Manual Therapy
- Grad Dip Manip (Hons) – Graduate Diploma in Manipulative Therapy (Honors)
- FAAOMPT – Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapy
- American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists (AAOMPT)
- American Physical Therapy Association (APTA)
- Member – Orthopedic Section of the APTA
- Physical Therapy Association of Washington (PTWA)
- Physical Therapy Association of Georgia (PTAG)-past member
- Continuing Education Courses: taught over 100 short term courses in Orthopaedic Manual Therapy in over 10 countries
- Certificate programs in Orthopaedic Manual Therapy: Tampa & Houston
- Residency programs in Orthopaedic Manual Therapy: Seattle, San Deigo & Fort Lauderdale
Invited Guest Speaker:
- Tacoma Orthopedic Special Interest Group of the Physical Therapy Association of Washington 1994
- The Annual Conference of the American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists (AAOMPT) 1998.
- The Annual Conference of the American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists (AAOMPT) 2015.
- The “Hallvard” from the Ola Grimsby Institute 2005. Given for excellence-in teaching, sharing of knowledge, skills and self-to facilitate and motivate others as both teachers and students.
- Ola Grimsby Institute Instructor Award 2011.
- Rivard J, Power B, Hinson B, Olson S. The Efficacy of Spinal Manipulation: A Literature Review. Scientific Physical Therapy 7(3): 1-12, 1997. (non peer review)
- Power B. Manual Therapy Approach to Knee Ligament Rehabilitation. In Ellenbecker T S. Knee Ligament Rehabilitation. Churchill Livingstone, Philadelphia, 2000.
- Power B. Knee Rehabilitation. In Rivard J, Grimsby O., Science, Theory and Clinical Application in Orthopaedic Manual Physical Therapy, ed. lulu 2008.
- Surface Electromyography Measurements of Peak Torque During a Dynamic Contraction of the Cervical Spine at Different Angles of Pulley Rope Resistance (in process)
- Board of Directors: The Cabiri Performance Troupe
- Board of Directors: The Ola Grimsby Institute
- Board of Instructors: The Ola Grimsby Institute
- Director of the Board of Examiners: The Ola Grimsby Institute
- Medical Teams International Advantage Program – Les Cayes, Haiti 2012